ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
All My Rivers Are Gone by Katie Lee

Printable version
Categories
Tales from the Trail
Hiking
Backpacking
Hiking The Grand Canyon
Wilderness Survival
Gear Reviews
Flora and Fauna
Trail Food and Recipes
Book Reviews

Author Article
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

Articles: 35
Comments: 1
 Posted: 5/3/2005, 4:13 am

This is my all time favorite. The author lives in Jerome and is known by one of our own on the site here---GeorgAz. I can't bring myself to call her because what do you say to an ---in my opinion--living legend???

This book is a soul grabber. I am not particularly enamored of river trips, but if you read about the west the Colorado River esp will come into play somewhere. I've reread this book countless times, I love to take it with me on trips to utah and read sections in camp in the evening. Katie Lee captures one woman's special love for a region that she sees as her heart and soul, replenishing her spirit from her very different life style. Her chosen path is as a folk singer, and her beat the clubs and speak easies of the time. The long nights, the men, the booze etc.

Now, the other life, lifelong friends--- with a staunch Mormon family man and river runner, a National Geographic level photographer and globe trotter, and the nightclub singer. These three found a connection on the Colorado River, in the what must have been incredible, undamed Glen Canyon. Her writing shows clearly what must have been the life altering experience for her and the others on these trips through Glen Canyon. Her distress and desire to prevent the oddly named Lake Powell ( the major surely rolled over in the grave) from being formed.

What will whet the desire of canyon hikers everywhere are the side canyons treasures explored by these three. I have a color photo book of some of these canyons and having been in a few of the canyons of the Escalante; I can tell you what was lost under Lake Powell were glories of nature I would give a lot to have seen.

Tremendous book, opinionated, passionate and impressive. If you are uncomforable with raw emotion, look elsewhere. Otherwise buy this book, it will stay in your library forever.

Johnson Books, Boulder, Co--1998
Rating: 0.00/5.00 [0]

Author Comments
JW
I'll make rain with my spaceman powers!

Articles: 0
Comments: 3
 Posted: 5/8/2005, 6:01 pm  Post subject: Books

Roxx, every time I get near the bottom of my reading list you post something like this. Thank you. JW.
P.S. I'm thinking about the Green.
JW
I'll make rain with my spaceman powers!

Articles: 0
 Posted: 5/8/2005, 6:01 pm  Post subject: Books

Roxx, every time I get near the bottom of my reading list you post something like this. Thank you. JW.
P.S. I'm thinking about the Green.
PageRob

Articles: 2
 Posted: 5/9/2005, 3:23 pm  Post subject:

An amazing book, I just finished reading it for the first time today. Gripping. A very engrosing style of writing. What a sad story.
PageRob

Articles: 2
 Posted: 5/9/2005, 3:23 pm  Post subject:

An amazing book, I just finished reading it for the first time today. Gripping. A very engrosing style of writing. What a sad story.

Page 1 of 1