ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Cities of Gold by Douglas Preston

Printable version
Categories
Tales from the Trail
Hiking
Backpacking
Hiking The Grand Canyon
Wilderness Survival
Gear Reviews
Flora and Fauna
Trail Food and Recipes
Book Reviews

Author Article
RedRoxx44
Queen of the Walkabout

Articles: 35
Comments: 1
 Posted: 4/16/2005, 2:57 pm

This book traces the supposed route of Coronado in his search for Cibola---the Seven Cities of Gold. The author is a New York writer, enlists the help of a somewhat more southwest savvy friend. They mount up via horses to journey along the route, experiencing the landscape and conditions ala Coronado.

A worthy undertaking but one woefully unprepared for. The interwoven modern journey with known or extrapolated bits of the old one are wonderful; but the real prize is the comedy of errors of these men. The horses run off, they buck them off, they hobble them inexpertly. They under/ overestimate water and food, the horses get sore backs, loose their shoes etc. They befriend the locals, mostly ranchers, along the way. It is a surprising view into the mindset of these current landowners. Some have pretty long roots in the territory and are a practical but romantic lot.
Preston touches on the Powers' history in the Galiuros, The Pleasant County war up near Young, and spends quite a bit of time on the Zuni's and Navajo--whose land he is allowed on to ride the old route. He confronts the first place where the Spanish and Indians fought, expecting commemoration; he found a grown over dirt hill.

I bought this book at the Coronado Memorial at the Huachucas. The ranger there said he was sorry when the tale was done.
I was too, I sorta wanted this one to go on and on. The writing is entertaining, facts and history presented in an involving way.
It's good, I recommend it highly.

University of New Mexico Press, Albuuquerque--1992
Rating: 0.00/5.00 [0]

Author Comments
maryphyl
Grand Canyon Enchantress

Articles: 0
Comments: 1
 Posted: 8/21/2005, 8:32 am  Post subject:

This was a great book, I foolishily loaned it or I would read it again. Mary
Rating: 0.00/5.00 [0]

Page 1 of 1