ArizonaHikers Portal Index
HomeHome   BoardBoard   AZH GearAZH Gear  FAQFAQ  RulesRules   SearchSearch
MemberlistMembers  ArticlesArticles  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  LinksLinks      RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Ultimate Direction Horizon

Printable version
Categories
Tales from the Trail
Hiking
Backpacking
Hiking The Grand Canyon
Wilderness Survival
Gear Reviews
Flora and Fauna
Trail Food and Recipes
Book Reviews

Author Article
fairweather8588

Articles: 2
Comments: 0
 Posted: 7/8/2004, 11:18 pm

Product Information:
Ultimate Direction Horizon
URL: www.ultimatedirection.com
Matierials: Cordura Nylon
Color(s): Graphite/Brick
Gear Capacity: 1185 cu in
Suggested Retail: $59.00

There are two pockets, one large and one small. There is a bungee cord strap on the front and two straps on the bottom for fastening stuff sacks etc. It has compression straps along the side to reduce bulk and to keep items from shifting inside. There is also a thin pocket that lines the back which you can store maps etc. in.

Review:
Locale(s): The Sonoran Desert (elev. 2,000- 4,000ft.) and the Grand Canyon. Temperatures have varied from 40F all the way to the 115F; both used in sun and light desert sprinkles. On most of my hikes I travel cross country in the McDowell Mountains, which exposes it to brush and other factors that you would not normally encounter on a trail.

I received this pack as a gift over three years ago as a gift. This pack has proven to be a great day hike pack, and it has also served for a few ultralight trips into the Grand Canyon. Although the certain style I have is no longer made, Ultimate Direction has redesigned the pack (twice), but the same basic design remains.

Durability:
After three years of pretty rough use, the pack shows very little signs of abuse. There aren’t any rips/abrasions on the fabric, but there are two spots where the hipbelt join the pack where the high-wicking foam has worn through a bit.

Fitting:
There are the standard shoulder straps, a sternum strap, a hipbelt, and load lifters. The shoulder straps are lined with the same high-wicking foam as on the back, which wicks the sweat away from your body eventually, but not lightning fast. The sternum strap is able to slide up and down the shoulder straps, and are one portion is made of elastic material that allows it to stretch easily. The load lifters do their job correctly, but I find them overkill because I never put a heavy enough load inside to have to use them. The hipbelt is not padded, which is one of the few things that I would change on this pack.

Weaknesses:
My main complaint was with the bladder that the company included with the pack. It has a roll-top closure, which I didn’t find completely waterproof. Next, the bite valve leaked too. I lost a tiny rubber band while cleaning it, so it doesn’t shut completely and water drips from it. I eliminated that problem by replacing it with a Camelbak, and I haven’t had a problem ever since. One more weakness is that the hipbelt wasn’t padded. Although that doesn’t change the overall effectiveness of the pack, it’d just be a nice thing to have in my opinion.

Overall:
Overall, I am really pleased with my pack. It’s been a faithful companion on nearly every hike I’ve been on, and has come out with fewer scars then I have unfortunately. It has outlasted three pairs of hiking shoes also. I don’t believe that I’ll have to replace this pack for another few years, and when time comes I hope I can find a worthy replacement of my Horizon.

THE GOOD:
Comfort
Durability of fabric
Cost

THE BAD:
Water bladder
Hipbelt
Rating: 0.00/5.00 [0]

Author Comments
No comments were made for this article